Friday, October 21, 2011

Diwali Treat........

I like Indian festival, almost all of them. And the sole reason being the sweet treats. Even if I do not celebrate them, nothing stops me from preparing at-least one treat exclusive for that particular festival. Like during Ganesh Cathurti I tried my hands at something similar to modak, it turned out well so what the shape was very...very different. Well now that Diwali is close, I chose to prepare something simple and quick.
I started with a recipe for nankatai, tweaked it here and there and came out with my version of coconut macroons. Sounds strange right ? read on and see how a nankatai got turned into a macaroon.

Diwali coconut macaroons ( recipe)

Ingredients:

2 cups all purpose flour
1 cup dessicated coconut
1 cup fine semolina
1/2 cup chopped almonds
1/4 cup raisins
1 1/4 cup sugar
1 1/4 cup  unsalted butter
1/2 tsp baking powder
a pinch of salt
1/2 tsp cardamon powder

( I think you have already noticed the tweak ...almond, raisin, dessicated coconut etc..wait there is one more twist)

Method:
1. Pre-heat the oven at 180 degree.
2. Mix all the above ingredients to form a dough.
3. Make small lime sized balls and slightly flatten them.
4. Time for the twist- leave the baking tray alone, grab the muffin tray or (even better) a mini cup cake tray, place the flattened dough balls and bake for 12- 15 minutes. I did not grease the tray as mine is non-stick.
5. Let the macaroons cool completely before de-moulding them (a fancy way of saying- remove them fron the muffin tray).
6. Store them in an air-tight container.

The macaroons will be perfectly shaped, at-least their bottoms........hehe..........enjoy !!


No comments:

Post a Comment